Saturday, May 28, 2011

Just the Beginning

I thought that I was going to want to record all of this really well and now when I have "the time" to write I am pooped out.

Sandy was right when she said as soon as I get to camp I will be hitting the ground running, so I should take a nap now (this was on the ride to camp last night).

Here are a few details about yesterday and today that are not going to be well said but they are going to be documented, ha ha.

Yesterday morning I was up at 5. I was super nervous. Got through security.
Was in line for boarding the plane, a couple in front of me had to check bags and do all of this
"annoying" stuff.   I was so impressed by their attitude and willingness to comply with the flight attendants.

I passed them and boarded the plane. I got the window seat! Yay!

Then it turned out that the couple were sitting next to me! It was really cool to  be able to sit next to people that I already felt comfortable with.

After talking with them for a while I found out their story...
They were set up on a blind date by mutual friends.
For their second date they went to a Christian heavy metal band concert that was a mutual interest of theirs.

He went to St. Scholastica for his undergrad, then to Michigan Tech for chemical engineering, and now is at the U of M for his dr. in kinesiology.... He was so kind and humble.

She went to a really small baptist Bible college for her undergrad.
Then she went to BETHEL UNIVERSITY for her masters in communications!

He engaged at a concert by having the lead singer ask Jodie  in between songs- it was the same band as their second date!

For their wedding they had it at this place in st. paul that was once mining caves or something...
But then was later used as a night club where baby face something hung out there (I may be mixing this story up a bit).

So for their wedding the guys were in pinstripe suits and fedoras.  The ladies had kind of retro hair and the nets in their hair :)

Because some of Jodie's family don't partake in dancing the couple hired a tour guide to dress up like baby face____ and carry a machine gun while taking them on tours of the cave !

This couple was SO considerate of others.
Before I found out that they were Christians I had already noticed that there was something obviously different about them.  The way that they interacted with others and each other was in a particularly special way.

Their story was so special.
Their relationship is special.
They weren't married right after getting their undergraduates (which I definitely know that is a large pressure upon my peers and myself).
God really does amazing things and seeing their relationship was a reminder to continue to wait on Him.

ANYWAYS!

Sandy picked me up at the airport.
We went to Costco, Wal-Mart, and then picked up her friend MaryAnn (who is an absolute gem!).

Sandy stayed in the Valley because she had to pick up a wrangler later that night.  Therefore MaryAnn drove me to camp from the Valley (about 1 hr 30 mins).

It was SO fun! We talked the entire way and I absolutely gawked at the scenery.
I keep saying it because it is how I feel- I am living in a postcard.
All of these pictures were taken in a MOVING vehicle!
The road is SO curvy and completely without shoulders... a little scary at times... ok A LOT scary at times!











Immediately when I arrived at camp we went to the Wilderness camp-out site.
The staff (directors of the 4 different camps, waterfront, activities, ect.) had a cook out there.
Then Kelly and myself walked to her parents' house (on Victory Rd).

On our way back we saw a...
MOOSE!
It was approximately 100 ft away.

I just about jumped out of my skin, can't imagine that can you? Ha Ha!

Kelly said "there's a swamp inbetween us, we're fine."
Bahaha!
It was SO cool!

Once we arrived home I was able to unpack (I will be staying here for a week) and take a shower, yay!

Saturday morning I awoke at 9:00 AM.
At 10:00 I walked up to Miracle Lodge (the main building that you see on the website next to the lake- yes it truly is THAT beautiful!!).

There I ran into some of the staff and hung out with them for awhile until Kelly came strolling down the stairs into the main lobby.

A little later all of the staff + me, went to the Valley to bowl, go to a park to eat and play ultimate frisbee.

I am HORRIBLE at bowling.
Truly.
The first game my score was around 18...

The next game I decided to do something "radical" as I said... and it worked! ha ha!
Well, it was at least an improvement!
I think my end score was either 80 or 88 :D

The girls were like "Where did this come from?!" because in the first game there were MANY times where I didn't even hit a pin down!

OHHH we are going to go hiking, so I will continue later :)

No comments:

Post a Comment