Tuesday, May 31, 2011

"Skills Week"

Today most of the counselors arrived at VBC.  I can't lie, I was a little nervous about more new people.  I had become so comfortable with the Staff and was having so much fun getting to know them.  Good thing I am not in control.  Today I met some of the most wonderful people. I JUST realized that I have only known many of these people for one day... it feels like I have known them for a week!

I just walked home from the Alpine lakeside fireside (fire pit with stadium seating benches).  At fireside we had a get to know you game.  I had to act out three things about myself and vice versa to my partner. There was NO talking.  It was really fun- I acted out that I like to take pictures, mountains, and marvel characters (spiderman, wolverine, iron man, ect.).

After the get to know you game, Sunshine and Cheese led worship.
Imagine this- standing by a lake that looks out to snow covered mountains while praising God with many other believers.

The waterfront director--Lieu Lieu and the assistant Frontier director-- Four-Leaf, shared a little about their testimonies.  They were very neat and emphasized the love and acceptance at Victory.  I completely feel it, from all of the staff, cafeteria crew, the main director (who even remembers my name), and the counselors.

On a different note....
I found out that I will not know which camp I will be at until monday--oofta I can not wait! I mostly want to know so I know which director I will be under (they are ALL so great and so I am excited for whom ever I will be serving under).

I also found out that I am going to be certified for the rifle range and archery! I am really excited for that. Tomorrow I will be at the rifle range all day and then thursday will be archery certification.  Friday I will have to take a test for both of them to insure that I can indeed teach children and adolescents how to shoot stuff :)

Today I laughed hard and often.  I even figured out my camp name....

"Gus Gus"-- the little chubby rat from Cinderella



Camp names--- all of the staff and counselors at VBC have a camp name.  It really can be anything.  Off the top of my head these are the names of some people this year;

Piper
Sunshine
Four Leaf
Bluejay
Lieu-Lieu (Lieutenant)
Sully
Darvey
Kicks
Mulan
Tator
Dimples
Gus Gus
Mott

ect.

As you can imagine it was really difficult for me to pick one.  These were the names that were in the running:

Sota (as in Minnesota)
Clover (but there is a Four Leaf and that would be kind of weird)
Epic
Simba
Phoenix (slight HP reference)
Reelz (because of working at the movie theatre and my love for movies)

However, none of them really hit me.  There wasn't one that I thought to myself- YES! That is what I want to be called all summer....

until... GUS GUS!
The goofy personality just fit.
So there it is :)

I am so truly blessed.
I have already had an awesome conversation with a CIT (counselor in training) and I can not wait to have more.

love y'all

No comments:

Post a Comment